The Sierra Leone chapter of the Young Men’s Christian Association (YMCA) was established in 1912. Our core competences include providing opportunities that enhances the holistic development of youths physically, through the mind and spiritually.
Our Mission Statement:
“…an ecumenical Christian organization enhancing the capacity of young people in Sierra Leone using collaborative approaches for self reliance and holistic development.”
Our Vision Statement
“Empowering Young People for the African Renaissance”
Our Core Values
Honesty meaning staff and volunteers living above suspicion and owning up responsibility for every action.
Respects demonstrated by showing regards for others opinion and accept them for what they are.
Tolerance demonstrated by appreciating the values of the social, ethnic, racial and diversities of people and societies Caring by been thy brothers keeper, creating the enabling environment for others to participate and ensuring the judicious utilization of association’s property
Spiritual Uplifting meaning executing oneself with Christian values
Our Values on project and programme implementation:
• Our credibility lies in making astute strategic interventions for the promotion and welfare of women and young people;
• The YMCA-SL is selective in the nature and number of projects it seeks to take on for implementing;
• YMCA-SL puts premium on adding value to existing projects rather than churning out projects for projects’ sake.
• The YMCA-SL seeks for partnership or funding only where its staff and volunteers form a consensus that the best results for its beneficiaries will be achieved;
• In the same vein, the YMCA is tolerant as to how its staff and volunteers can best improve the overall long-term capacity of women and young people in Sierra Leone;
In pursuance of its strategic thinking, the YMCA-SL has reconstituted a strong team of professional staff with background and experiences in environmental issues, development, peace, agriculture, economics, education and accounting. The staff takes the lead in seeking solutions to the most imperative and urgent need of children, women and young people.